Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Personal Research Journey


The simulated topic I chose to research is, The Accuracy of Early Childhood Assessments and shortcomings. What I would like to explore is how accurate are early childhood assessments and if any, what factors attribute to shortcomings in conducting accurate early childhood assessments.

The reason why I am interested in this particular topic is because as a preschool teacher, I have found myself at times speculating answers to questions about the children's abilities. For the past several months,  I have been the only lead teacher for a group of fifteen three year old children. All though I have the assistance of a floater who may write a few journals for me, all other documentation including assessments, is my responsibility.  Also as the field is becoming more professionalized, I have noticed that teacher workloads continue to increase, yet the infrastructure to accommodate for these changes have not.

What I have gained from completing the simulation chart, is that I have formulated a hypothesis based on my personal experience and knowledge about my co-workers experience in this area. Therefore, I conclude that the research methodology best suited for what I want to accomplish would be The Deductive Research methodology (Mac Naughton, Rolfe, Siraj-Blatchford, 2010) as I am only interested in this question.
To my colleagues, I ask that if you have any knowledge about this topic or can refer me to some credible resources please feel free to share with me. We will get through this together. Thank you so much.

Cheryl Byrd

References
Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S. A., & Siray – Blatchford, I. (2010).  Doing Early Childhood Research International Perspectives on Theory and Practice (2nd Ed.). New York, NY:

1 comment:

  1. This is a great topic, I believe that it is important to know the contributing factors to such programs falling short during assessments. This will help improve the outcome of these programs when it comes to improving the proformance of children.

    ReplyDelete