Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Family Culture

If I were uprooted from my home country and could only choose three small items to take with me, I would take my iPad, my driver’s license, and my birth certificate.

My iPad is a multitasking communication apparatus that connects me to the world via Wi-Fi, Verizon and or AT&T connections. The importance of this tool means that I would be able to access information about the country/ city I am in, including translating the language(s) so that I could learn how to speak the language of the country, learning about the currency in the country, employment opportunities, and hopefully a church home. Also for entertainment, I would be able to access television, games, and stay current with the evacuation status in the U.S. Another feature on my iPad that would help me adjust to my new home would be its navigation system. This feature would provide me with directions to specific locations such as schools, churches, and other business establishments especially for seeking employment.

At first the second item I chose was my Visa credit card, but I figured that if I had to evacuate my country and potentially never return, the banking system would not be accessible. So the second item I would take would be my driver’s license. I would explain to others that this piece of plastic with my photo, date of birth and physical address is important for proving my identity. I am sure this will come in handy for receiving aid, gaining employment and so forth.

The third item I would take would be my birth certificate which documents the date, time and place of my birth as well as who my parents are.  The significance of this piece of paper would affirm that my driver’s license is authentic. Also if I were to return to the United States, I would need these documents to reestablish myself.

Wow! Being told that I can only take one of the three is very difficult. With not knowing if the iPad would have a connection, and because my birth certificate would not have my photo, by process of elimination, I would take my driver’s license because this would prove that I am who I say I am. Being in another country I would think that if I had nothing else, I would at least have something to identify myself.

Although this exercise was kind of fun, limiting myself to taking only three small things with me was more difficult than choosing just one out of the three. Using the process of elimination made this task easier. Also so there where so many “what ifs” that ran through my mind. I wanted to take my college degree to increase my chances of getting a decent job. But  I thought what if the employers need an original college transcript? So I figured within time, as long as I could prove who I was, I could eventually have my transcript mailed if necessary. Then I thought what if I end up in a place where my iPad could not get a connection! What anxiety!

This exercise says a lot about my culture, that I am use to living life with the aid of many systems, and things where as some cultures live the simple life without amenities. And all I know, is that this would take a lot of getting use to. I am sure I would experience symptoms of withdrawal! But, since this exercise is about my culture, I have to mention that I am sure that my personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ would get me through this transition. I firmly believe that my  footsteps  are ordered by God and that all things work together for my good. With all of that said, God would provide everything I needed even if I ended up living in a hut! Smile

Cheryl Byrd

2 comments:

  1. I think all of your three items are very significant. I had not thought of my driver's license and birth certificate as I always have these items with me. Funny, how some things you take for granted and then not consider in this exercise.
    Your faith would be a source of comfort.
    I enjoyed reading your post.
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! You thought so logically about this assignment! I went the sentimental route and, after reading your explanations, realize that I may be in trouble if i could not prove my identity! Great post!

    ReplyDelete