Saturday, October 27, 2012

Time Well Spent


Dear Colleagues,
All I can say is that we made it! In response to the title “Time well spent”, I do count all the Saturdays and Sundays and late evenings as time well spent. I have learned so much and my passion has been refueled. I am looking forward to the future and I am confident that God has a plan for me, even at the age of 56 years old. I wish you all the best and please know that the encouraging words were always very uplifting.
Four things that I felt deeply about in terms of learning from this Capstone program are as follows,
There are a variety of ways to advocate for the early childhood field. From having a casual conversation with a colleague or co-worker to protesting on Capitol Hill, there are many ways in which we all can become involved with improving the lives of families, children, and the early childhood field. Some may provide support, others may provide resources and finances, and the shakers and movers provide the power to get things done.
You do not have to know everything to get started. After being enlightened about this, I realized that having passion for a cause is all it takes to get started. And as a result of having passion, the drive to learn as you go and to continue even when you make mistakes is much better than doing nothing because you are waiting for everything to be just right.
To begin the process of positive social change, we must begin with ourselves. Sometimes we have to take time to examine our motives, to question our purpose for existing, and to rediscover who we are and what we stand for.
Despise not small beginnings. I was really inspired when I learned about the origin of the Child Care Workforce. What started out as a small group of passionate early childhood educators who shared the same vision, that early childhood teachers have representation in terms of fair wages and working conditions, has grown nationwide (Center for Child care Workforce, n.d.).
My favorite quote is “Be the change that you wish to see in the world” Mahatma Ghandi (Good Reads, Inc., 2012).

References
Center for Child Care Workforce. (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2011, from http://www.ccw.org/
Good Reads Inc.  (2012). Retrieved from: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/change

No comments:

Post a Comment