Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Personal Childhood Web

Above are just a few of the nurturing people I was so blessed to have in my life. 

1. My father and mother Julius and Shirley Tyler. My father is a very warm, gentle and patient man. He was a hard worker and provided well for us. He helped me with my homework and made us laugh when he would come home from work and enter the house with a silly laugh and funny dance.Other wonderful experiences with my dad included watching Roller Derby and wrestling together, going on Sunday drives to the park and visiting with his side of the family. My relationship with my dad continues to influence me today. From him I learned about loyalty and how to be a responsible adult. My mother was more caring than nurturing. She always made sure we dressed nice and when she was too frustrated to help me with my homework, she paid a retired school teacher in the neighborhood to tutor me in Math. She also provided us with a playroom. complete with a kitchen furniture set (she and my father designed and built)dolls, dishes and an old upright piano. Now this was in the 60's. My mother was ahead of her time. We had real running water in our sink! My mom cleverly came up with the idea to run a hose from an enema bag with a clip through the  faucet. When we released the clip, the water would run out into the sink which was a cake pan. My mother always made sure we had nice clothes and other material things and saw to it that we were involved in the community. She taught Arts and Crafts for Parks and Recreation, tap dancing and baton twirling and was a 4-H leader. I will always remember our trip to the Kentucky State Fair in Louisville, KY where I saw The Jackson Five! I believe that the creative environment my mother provided for me is what has influenced my creativity today. She taught me how to use my imagination. And since she was not nurturing, it nfluenced me to do the opposite.

2. My late grandmother Ocala Tyler was the absolute most nurturing person in my life. She was so loving, patient, gentle and kind. I loved being around her. She engaged me in helping her make biscuits, taught me how to set the table and how to sew a blind stitch and more. But the one thing I enjoyed the most, was when she would tell us stories at bedtime. The Three Billy Goats Gruff, Little Red Riding Hood, Three Little Pigs, The Ginger Bread Man, and the list goes on and on.  She also taught us the prayer, Now I Lay me Down to Sleep" and told us bible stories. These wonderful experiences with my grandmother  influenced me to read and tell stories to my children and  grandchildren. And just last year I self published my first children's book titled Dragon Fruit. I also know for a fact, that it's because of my grandmother that I ended up working with children. 

3.The late Rosemary Winmon was the overseer of the youth choir at my church. She too was so gentle and warm. When she discovered that I could play the piano, she provided lots of encouragement by saying kind words and giving me verbal praise. Her favorite song was "Walk Around in Heaven". And even after I went off to college, whenever I came home for the weekend, she would ask me to sing her favorite song "Walk Around in Heaven". 

4. The Late Joyce Hodge (my aunt on my mother's side) always made me feel special with her smiles and kind words. She was warm, friendly and very caring. I was always welcomed to visit her. My aunt taught tap dancing and taught me how to tap dance. She always came to see me in church programs and she attended my high school graduation.






3 comments:

  1. Cheryl your family sounds wonderful they were very supportative of you. I wish you the best in your furture endeavors. My mother and father are very important to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your relationship with your father. You described so many specific things that reminded me of things me and my dad would do when I was little. We would always have sundays together and would go on walks in the woods, etc. Its nice to have time like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post. It sounds as though you had a very supportive family. I wish you the best as you continue your education.

    ReplyDelete