Friday, June 24, 2011

Quotes relating to children

Richard L. Evans/ author
 “Children will not remember you for the material things you provided but for the feeling that you cherished them.”
“Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.”

These two quotes are special to me because I can relate my own personal childhood to them. Although there were adversities in my life, there were people who made me feel cherished. And I thank God for placing those people in my life. I truly believe that no matter how bad life gets, if you have that “one somebody” that you know cares about you, it gives you hope. This sounds like resilience. And so moving forward, my goal is to educate others about ways to foster resilient children through the simple act of making them feel special.
Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author
"Only where children gather is there any real chance of fun."
English proverb
"The soul is healed by being with children."
I absolutely love these two quotes because I find them to be true. I have been in the Early Childhood field for almost 20 years. And what I love about children is that they are not inhibited in their thinking about the possibilities in life. Because they are free in their thinking, they are very creative.  I always tell myself, I am blessed to be able to play at work! Playing with children keeps me young and fosters my creativity as well.

2 comments:

  1. Cheryl, thanks for sharing your quotes! I LOVE the one about wet cement. I'm pretty sure I posted that one last semester! It's so true! I see it in my four and five year olds everyday! When they learn something new, they get excited and try to relate it to something else. By the time you snap your fingers, they've already stored it in their long term memory. It makes me wonder how they do that! Magically, they are exactly like wet cement, leaving impressions even on us wherever they go! Thanks for sharing! Good luck on your next Walden course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,

    As Dr. Gopnik touched on the play subject in our video this week when she was talking about how it is a tradeoff for adults who are focused on planning and they lose their flexibility to play and explore. These words support your statement about how play fosters your creativity.

    It has been an honor and a pleasure to learn with you in our Early Childhood Development class. I wish you good luck and hope to 'see' you again as we continue on our educational journeys.

    Take care,
    Patty Eningowuk

    ReplyDelete