Saturday, February 25, 2012

Professional Hopes and Goals

The one hope that I have when I think about working with families and children from diverse backgrounds is that I will apply what I have learned from this course to promote equity and social justice for all children and families. To achieve this goal, I will continue to do the following; 1) Confront my own biases (including prejudices, stereotypes, and microagressions. 2) Invest time to learn about the deep culture of each family so that I can respond respectfully to their needs. 3)  Advocate against all forms of discrimination “isms”, by providing constructive criticism to others who may be exhibiting overt or covert acts of discrimination. 4) Openly facilitate discussions about our differences with children and teach children to judge others by what they do as opposed to their skin color or outward appearance.  5) Create an all inclusive welcoming environment for children and families congruent to the children in my care.

One goal that I would like to set forth for the early childhood field is that diversity training be a requirement and that it be more extensive than 1 – 2 clock hours. With the early childhood field becoming more and more diverse, individuals working with children and families must be equipped to respond tactfully, respectfully, and professionally. 

I would like to give thanks to all of my colleagues for sharing their insight and personal experiences regarding diversity. I also want to thank everyone for their honesty.  I think we all realize now that eradicating discrimination and social injustice begins with ourselves. I wish you all the best as you continue this journey on improving yourselves. 

Congratulations Raina! Although I allowed the voting to slip past me, you were my choice.



Cheryl Byrd

No comments:

Post a Comment