Thursday, March 1, 2012

What is Communication?

The person that comes to my mind that is an effective communicator is my pastor. What makes him so effective is that he does a really good job of presenting the context for the text in his introduction by painting a picture of what was happening at the time. Sometimes he provides the Greek and or Hebrew translations of a word. Although a word in the text may be simple,  this knowledge gives me a deeper understanding. I also like how he makes the text applicable to today by using similes and telling modern day parables. He often uses famous quotes, inspirational short stories, and other means to support his message, modulates his voice at the right time, and incorporates humor.

From my pastor I would adopt most of these techniques because he articulates well, is not boring,  is prepared, knowledgeable, knows how to create imagery and the information is well organized.

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl,

    It is such a blessing when we are able to have a Pastor that is able to communicate with us on a level that is easy to understand. When I was searching for a new church home here in GA, I visited a lot of churches where I had absolutely no idea what message was being taught! Afterwards I was left wondering if something was wrong with me. It is always refreshing and comforting to find others that are able to relate to you and teach you valuable lessons through effective communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,
    Your pastor sounds like an amazing communicator, as well as an awesome pastor. I enjoy listening to someone who paints a picture for you and keeps it interesting.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl,

    Your pastor sounds amazing and like someone whose church I would love to attend. Often, I feel that our passions are what allow us to communicate well. It is the things that we are most passionate about; that we know the most about; that flow from us with ease. Great post!

    (I'm so happy to see you in this class!!!)

    Raina

    ReplyDelete