Friday, May 6, 2011

Child Birth in China

In China the birthing experiences for the locals lacks privacy. Mothers to be are often examined in the presence of other patients waiting in line. This includes procedures such as ultrasounds and even a pelvic exam. Women in labor are lined up in delivery rooms with glass windows for visitors to see. Males are not allowed in the delivery rooms and the doctors are women. Unlike here in the U.S., cesarean incisions are made vertically, and in most hospitals women's hands are tied to prevent them from moving while getting an epidural. And an episiotomy is left to heal on it's own without stitches. All I can say is wow! This is very different from my personal experience in the U.S. Unlike China I had privacy and my husband was allowed to be present in the delivery room. The insight I've gained is that the birthing experience in China must have been very stressful for the women. The impact of stress of course transfers to the baby as well. The only similarity I see is that the visitors in China do not receive this type of care but only the locals. Likewise, the U.S. has social classes as well. The better one's insurance, the better service one receives.

2 comments:

  1. The birthing experience in China sounds very impersonal and stressful for both mother and baby. It's hard to make judgements as this is a very different culture than what we have here in the US. However, just imagining all those women giving birth while all the fathers watch on the other side of the window makes me uncomfortable. I would be very interested to know how the mother/father/baby bonding experience forms from birth on. Do the parents take time off from work?Do the mother's typically work outside the home or are they home with the baby? What are the rates of young infants in China who go to daycare shortly after birth? Many questions that come to mind. This has intrigued me enough to do some research on the subject. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! I would not like the impersonal and openness of the birthing process. I do know that the Chinese government only allow one child per family. I have a Chinese family in my class that have a boy and a girl therefore they will never be able to reside in China as nationals again. The little girl was born in Chicago and is a USA citizen.
    It is amazing the different cultures and their mores relating to birth and children.

    ReplyDelete