Saturday, May 14, 2011

Public health Topic/ Breastfeeding

For this blog assignment I chose breastfeeding as my public health topic because of the many benefits infants reap from breastfeeding. Breast milk has been proven to contain  iron, vitamins and nutrients for the brain and body and antibodies that protect babies from illnesses and diseases that the mother is immune to. Breast milk also decreases the risk of childhood diseases such as obesity, asthma, heart disease, and diabetes only to name a few. I was also amazed to learn that the risk of developing an infectious disease due to not breastfeeding an infant is greater than the risk of a mother nursing her infant who is HIV positive. WOW! Other benefits for the infant is that it is easily digested, and I now I know that the milk's properties and quantity change to adjust to the baby's age. Babies benefit emotionally too, as bonding takes place between the mother and the infant and the infant and mother both experience a sense of pleasure during breastfeeding. As a mother myself I chose to breast feed both of my children. I lasted only three months with the first one but went up to 1 yr with the second one. This was due to two things. My first child would get full quick and I would be left with engorged breast to massage. But my second child was greedy! Personally I loved it. It was the 1980s and I can remember being in church, holding a blanket over my shoulder while I nursed my daughter so no one could see. I also remember hearing comments about going to a secluded area to do it.

The country I chose to explore is Canada. Public policy now protects women's rights to breastfeed anywhere and at any time. Women can no longer be asked to move, cover up or go to a more discrete place. Employees must accommodate breastfeeding mothers by providing them the space and the time.

In Canada there is an organization named INFACT Canada-Infant Feeding Action Coalition. This national non-governmental organization works to protect infant and young child health as well as maternal well-being through the promotion and support of breastfeeding and optimal infant feeding practices. For more information please visit http://www.infactcanada.ca/about.htm

Below are two posters promoting breastfeeding in Canada. To see more visit http://www.infactcanada.ca/mall/Posters_first.ASP



The information I have learned will be useful in my future work as I am now more informed about the many reasons why breastfeeding is better to my colleagues, mothers to be. After finishing my studies, I hope to become a Child development instructor at a college or work with the teen parent population in some capacity. The information I have learned will enable me to educate others about why breastfeeding is best.

2 comments:

  1. Cheryl- I too chose breastfeeding for my blog this week. It truly is nature's perfect food. All four of my children were breastfed. It was never a problem for me to discretly nurse while sitting at the mall or in church etc. I find it unbelievable how some people have an issue with mothers feeding their babies in public. Fortunately, more and more facilities here in the US are recognizing the importance of having private areas or spaces for mothers and babies.Our church recently set up a nursing room with a monitor. Mothers can go in there to nurse their babies and continue to watch the church service. I've also noticed nursing rooms in ToysRus and at our malls here in Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,
    When I think of things like breastfeeding I think of Africa. I truly miss it, I came home in 2006 but left part of my heart there. The breast are not consider of any importance other than feeding the baby. The women will feed their babies in the market, at your house, on the street, at church, wherever the time is right. It is not a big deal. Donna, it is the way God intended for us to feed our babies, I am aware that some women cannot and that is okay but if you can go for it.

    ReplyDelete