Friday, May 6, 2011

My Personal Birthing Experience

The birthing experience I wish to share is the birth of my firstborn daughter.  During my pregnancy I  read a book about the Lamaze technique (breathing properly during natural childbirth). After reading this book, I decided I would have a natural childbirth. It was Valentines day 1983. I was visiting my mother and drawing Valentine pictures with my four year old nephew while sitting on the couch. When I began to experience a deep dull ache in the lower part of my uterus, I went to the bathroom and discovered a brownish red discharge. I can't remember how I got to the hospital but upon arrival I was admitted and given a gown to put on. It was around 5:45 pm. I was taken to the labor room with a television mounted on the wall. I remember being hooked up to some sort of machine to monitor the contractions. I can still remember the slow rhythmic sound of that machine, and then speeding up when a contraction occurred. The nurse checked me to see how I was dilating from time to time. By this time my husband arrived. The next thing I know, I am being wheeled to the delivery room. My husband goes in with me. The room is cold and dim all around, but the lights over me felt warm. I remember the nurse telling me not to push, but when the male doctor arrives I am told to push with all I have. So after pushing with every bit of strength I had, my daughter was born at 7:30 pm. on Valentine's day. The next experience I remember was the removal of the afterbirth which worse than the child birth. The nurse used her fist to dig deeply into my naval. Since this was so long ago, I am sure I'm leaving out some details. Next I was take to my room. I remember the nurse educating me about breast care and breast feeding. I was concerned that I did not make milk right away. But she assured me that the colostrum was enough. The doctor came to follow up. He was in my room for about 5 minutes. All of the medical staff were nice and encouraging. I chose my own example because it was my first experience delivering a baby. My thoughts about childbirth is that yes it is a natural event but in contrast to having a baby at home vs a hospital, I would prefer to have my child at a hospital in case complications were to occur. I think it would be hard for me to lose a child during childbirth knowing that access to medical technology could have made the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment